Licensing Your Vehicle

General Information

Whether you are a long time resident or just moved to Wallace County with a newly purchased vehicle, you must register your vehicle in the Wallace County Treasurer's office.

You will need to get a new license plate, or in some cases, you may be able to transfer your old license plate to your newly purchased vehicle.  With the proper documents and payment, this can be done through our office.

Use the steps below to guide you through this process.

When to License

Owners of the vehicle will need to go to the Wallace County Treasurer's office to receive your new plate or transfer a plate.  If you plan to register the vehicle jointly (listing it as John AND Jane Doe, instead of John OR Jane Doe), all owners need to be present at the time title work is completed or provide a Power of Attorney.pdf from any additional owners.  

Any vehicle that is garaged in Wallace County may owe property tax, regardless of where the customer or company is located.

New Residents

Registration is required within 90 days of the date Kansas residency is established.  Date of residency may be determined by the following:

  • Own, lease, or rent a place of residence for more than 90 days.
  • Have a place of residence and accept employment.
  • Register to vote.
  • Enroll child(ren) in the school district, unless you are paying out-of-state tuition.

What to Bring

The following items will be required when titling your vehicle in Wallace County:

  • Proof of ownership:  In most cases this is a Certificate of Origin, a Kansas Title, or a title issued by another state.  In some cases, this could be a bill of sale.  For vehicles purchased on a bill of sale, additional documents will be necessary.
  • Proof of Insurance:  This is required for all motor vehicle transactions.  State law requires that each vehicle carry an auto insurance card with the name of insurer, name of insured, policy number, effective & expiration dates, and vehicle description and VIN.
  • Kansas VIN Inspection:  A Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification (MVE-1) is required of any vehicles with out of state titles.  The inspection will show that the identification number on your vehicle matches the one on its title.  The is a standard procedure to ensure that the vehicle is not stolen.  Most of these inspections can be processed by the Wallace County Sheriff's office.  In certain instances, such as a salvage title or an out of state rebuilt salvage, a Kansas State Trooper must complete the inspection.

Sales Tax Receipt

If you have purchased your vehicle from a licensed Kansas dealer, a sales tax receipt will be required. Effective July 1, 2002, if the vehicle is purchased in a taxing jurisdiction that has a lower sales tax rate than the jurisdiction in which the customer lives, the additional sales tax will be collected at the Wallace County Treasurer's office.  

If you purchased the vehicle from an individual proof of purchase price is required, either by a bill of sale.pdf or a completed purchase price within the title reassignment.  

When purchasing from an out of state dealer, a dealer's purchase agreement is preferred.  Sales tax will be collected at a rate of 7.5%.


We accept various forms of payment, including cash, personal check, or credit cards.  Please note that convenience fees apply when using credit or debit cards.

  1. Wallace-0106R 8x10

    Christine Smith


  2. County Treasurer

    Physical Address
    313 N Main Street
    Sharon Springs, KS 67758

    Mailing Address
    PO Box 40
    Sharon Springs, KS 67758

    Fax: 785-852-4310